Code "borrowed" without attribution to original authors

Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD plagnioj at jcrosoft.com
Tue Oct 5 23:03:24 EDT 2010

On 19:53 Tue 05 Oct     , Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD,

> > for the record the two are not borrowed at all from U-Boot but done based on
> > barebox
>
> Oh. Interesting statement. Let me check again.
>
> Your commit:
>
> 	commit aba80a2d2d0f1b25185246925577ce2108247dde
> 	Author: Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD <plagnioj at jcrosoft.com>
> 	Date:   Thu Sep 23 06:48:42 2010 +0200
>
> 	    image: rename IH_CPU to IH_ARCH to be more concistant
>
> So BB used to have IH_CPU and switched to IH_ARCH :
>
> Please compare against this U-Boot commit:
>
> 	commit b97a2a0a21f279d66de8a9bdbfe21920968bcb1c
> 	Author: Marian Balakowicz <m8 at semihalf.com>
> 	Date:   Tue Jan 8 18:14:09 2008 +0100
>
> 	    [new uImage] Define a API for image handling operations
>
> 	    - Add inline helper macros for basic header processing
> 	    - Move common non inline code common/image.c
> 	    - Replace direct header access with the API routines
> 	    - Rename IH_CPU_* to IH_ARCH_*
>
> 	    Signed-off-by: Marian Balakowicz <m8 at semihalf.com>
>
> Pay special attention to the "Rename IH_CPU_* to IH_ARCH_*" part.
>
> Not borrowed?  What an extremely unlikely coincidence then!  I think
> you should try to explain that.
>
> > and as we all known the uImage format come from U-Boot I just sync it
> > recently without commit details as we do for Kconfig we do not trac
> > modifications details and we respect the copyright. SO I'll repeat myself
> > if Marian copyright is missing We will add it with pleasure.
>

> I recommend you to get a clue about what is needed to properly
> attribute code to the people who actually wrote it, instead of
> submitting it without any due reference and then even claiming you
> developed it yourself.  I guess you are not interested in having a
> reputation as a plagiarist?
I'll repeat I'ev not borrow these two they look similar I agree but I do not
borrow them. And I'm fine to put Marian copyright I eally do not carefor the
other 2 commits. But these two I just had the same idea by looking at the
code of barebox when I was working to re-introduce the mutli-image support.

The two other commits are here for sync before finish the full sync of uImage
and I will not take Marina work as mine. I'll put my SoB as I apply it and
responsible for this integration as I did for kconfig and others without take
the copyright.

Best Regards,
J.