Watchdog support

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Mon May 17 04:36:33 EDT 2010

Hi Erwin,

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 09:10:49AM +0200, Erwin Rol wrote:
> Marc Reilly wrote:
>> Hi Erwin,
>>
>>> does barebox have any watchdog support ?
>>
>> I think the answer to your question is really dependent on what platform you
>> are using, and exactly what you want the watchdog to do.
>
> Platform does not really matter here, I mean does barebox trigger the
> watchdog if it is doing lengthy operations like writing flash to prevent
> it from being reset in the middle of the operation. That has little to
> do with if the platform has a watchdog or not.
>
> So let me changes the question a bit;
>
> Does barebox have a standard API to trigger and program a watchdog ?

No, we do not have this atm.

Are you looking for real watchdog support, i.e. 'reset watchdog when my
system is in a sane state' or do you have a piece of hardware on which
you have to reset the watchdog frequently because you can't disable it
in software?

For the first case I propose a 'watchdog' command with an underlying
reset_watchdog() function which resets the watchdog.
For the latter case you don't have another choice but to scatter the
code with RESET_WATCHDOG macros like U-Boot does.