USB device not found

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Thu Jun 24 03:00:11 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 10:39:35AM +0200, Jose Luis Zabalza wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I connect a usb device to my board but I can't see the device on /dev.
> Is it usual?
> I should see a /dev/usb0-20 device file?
>
> jlxx:/ usb
> USB: scanning bus for devices...
> usb0-2: 1516:8628 FlashDisk
> usb0-1: 0000:0000 EHCI Host Controller
> 2 USB Device(s) found
>
> jlxx:/ devinfo
> devices:
> |----imx_serial0
> |----cs0
> |----ramfs0
> |----devfs0
> |----mem0 (defaultenv)
> |----mem1 (mem)
> |----cfi_flash0 (nor0, self, env, nor0.uboot, nor0.kernel, nor0.root)
> |----mem2 (ram0)
> |----fec_imx0
> |----miiphy0 (phy0)
> |----eth0
> |----imxfb0
> |----fb0 (fb0)
> |----ehci0
> |----usb0-20
> |----usb0-10

The devinfo command should be worked on. Traditionally each device
automatically had a file under /dev, but this behaviour was not really
nice because several devices do not need a file. I changed this
so that files under /dev have to be explicitely registered. What you
see with the devinfo command are the devices registered in the system
and in brackets the /dev files registered from these devices. so for
example the device 'miiphy0' has registered a file /dev/phy0.

usb0-2 is a device registered for housekeeping only with no files at
all, that's normal.