RFC: Name of the command to boot a linux kernel on x86

Uwe Kleine-König u.kleine-koenig at pengutronix.de
Fri Dec 4 13:36:17 EST 2009

Hello,

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 01:24:24PM +0100, Alessandro Rubini wrote:
> >> I'd use "mkimage" on the bzImage file to make an uImage
>
> > For x86 there is one showstopper:
> >
> > linux-2.6 $ make uImage
> > linux-2.6 $ make: *** No rule to make target `uImage'.  Stop.
>
> You can always use "mkimage" by hand. Like we all have been doing before
> it was added as a target in the kernel Makefiles.  Actually, mkimage isn't
> part of the kernel, IIRC.
And at least for ARM you *should* call it by hand as the parameters
given to mkimage by the kernel Makefile are stupid[1].

Best regards
Uwe

[1] I tried to fix that some time ago, but Russell didn't like it.

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Uwe Kleine-König            |
Industrial Linux Solutions                    | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |