Power save setting while interface is down

James Prestwood prestwoj at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 09:15:28 PST 2023

Hi,

I've noticed a somewhat rare behavior (<1% of the time) where bringing
an interface up fails after disabling power save. This is done by IWD
when a user-option is enabled, and follows an interface
removal/creation. The sequence is:

1. Remove default interface

2. Create new interface

3. Disable power save on new interface

4. Bring up new interface (rarely fails with -110).

iwd[1286641]: src/netdev.c:netdev_disable_ps_cb() Disabled power save
for ifindex 54
kernel: ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: wmi service ready event not received
iwd[1286641]: Error bringing interface 54 up: Connection timed out
kernel: ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: Could not init core: -110

I'm thinking maybe there is a race between creating the fresh interface
and disabling PS, then bringing the interface back up?

Setting PS after the interface is up (so far) seems to be 100% reliable
and have not yet seen this behavior. Regardless of any kernel fixes I'll
need to reorder the command sequence in IWD to support existing kernels,
but before I work around this issue I wanted to point it out so its not
hidden from view.

Thanks,

James