EAP AP/VLAN: multicast not send to client

Sven Eckelmann sven at narfation.org
Tue Feb 2 04:06:26 EST 2021

On Tuesday, 2 February 2021 09:58:45 CET Sebastian Gottschall wrote:

> Am 02.02.2021 um 09:23 schrieb Sven Eckelmann:
> > On Tuesday, 2 February 2021 08:04:56 CET Sebastian Gottschall wrote:
> >> the standard ath10k firmware für qca988x chipsets does filter vlans.
> > Just to be sure that we are talking about the same thing: I am (or actually
> > hostapd is) using NL80211_IFTYPE_AP_VLAN here - not 802.1Q.

> then it might be something different. i'm not sure at that point. but
> consider that AP_VLAN is also used for WDS STA/WDS AP implementations.
> so each wds station becomes a individual interface on ap side for
> bridging. that might of course have a influence to broadcast/multicast
> frames

Interestingly, the WDS "mode" works perfectly fine  on the same hardware. So I
have not a real idea what the difference is between EAP AP_VLAN and WDS (PSK)
AP_VLAN at the moment.

> in addition the 10.4 firmware series has a special wmi flag which is not
> used by ath10k, but solved alot of problems for me (in my case with
> reauthentication)
> WMI_VDEV_DISABLE_4_ADDR_SRC_LRN
> this might be unrelated to your issue. but this flag must be set anyway
> for proper work. but it isnt by default in all 10.4 firmwares.

Good to know, thanks.

> > For Ben Greear's firmware, the only workaround which I found until now was to
> > set NL80211_ATTR_MULTICAST_TO_UNICAST_ENABLED to 1 to force mac80211 to send
> > multicast as unicast.
> so if its a pure multicast/unicast issue it could be also a basic rate
> issue for ct firmwares.

Interesting idea. Btw. I've also switched to sw crypto for a test just to make
sure that there is no HW key problem.

Kind regards,
	Sven