Frames acknowledged and silently discarded in firmware

Javier Cardona jcardona at fb.com
Tue Mar 13 16:42:36 PDT 2018

Hi,

We have resolved this issue.  I'm sharing the details in case that might help others.

The description of the problem was accurate EXCEPT that the acks that we observed on the sniffer were not being sent by the failed station (MAP2, in the context of my original e-mail) but by a third station MAP3.  Those Acks were sent by MAP3 but with MAP2's address in the Transmitter Address field.

These anomalous Block Acks were sent because the MAC-ADDRESS-FILTER was misconfigured at MAP3, which caused that station to respond to addresses different than its own.  The reasons for this misconfiguration were:
  (1) in mesh (and other) mode(s), the driver creates a hidden monitor vif along the mesh vif
  (2) this second monitor vif is assigned the default mac address reported by the firmware (arvif->mac_addr)
  (3) this mac address (which the driver was getting from the pre-cal files) is XOR'd with the mesh vif address to configure MAC-ADDRESS-FILTER
  (4) once that happens, the hardware will ack all addresses that pass the MAC-ADDRESS-FILTER.  If the two mac addresses (vif->addr and arvif->mac_addr) are very dissimilar, that will result in a storm of invalid Block Acks

We resolved the issue by patching the pre-cal data with the same address as the mesh interface, so that vif->addr == arvif->mac_addr.  This is more a workaround than a real fix, because this misconfiguration this MAC-ADDRESS-FILTER can easily go unnoticed.  In fact, what unblocked us on this issue was switching to Candela Tech's custom firmware and driver (ath10k-ct).  This provides a nice interface to the hardware registers:

cat /debug/ieee80211/wiphy1/ath10k/fw_regs

        ath10k Target Register Dump
        MAC-FILTER-ADDR-L32 0xffffffff
        MAC-FILTER-ADDR-U16 0x0000ffff

We would probably be still trying to solve this if Ben Greear did not point us in the right direction.

Cheers,

Javier