SparkLan WPEQ-261ACN (QCA6174) : packets loss ?

Kalle Valo kvalo at codeaurora.org
Thu Jan 11 08:21:10 PST 2018

Contrib Open Source <contrib.open.source at gmail.com> writes:

> So my questions are :

> Q1) is it correct to "downgrade" firmware API in this case (symbolic
> link firmware-5.bin) ?

It's not safe, you have to really know what you are doing and understand
the ath10k internals. We do these FW API increases (5 -> 6) for a
reason, usually because the new firmware won't work with older version
of ath10k.

But if you want to run latest ath10k on older kernels I recommend to
look at backports project:

https://backports.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

> Q2) is it possible to use recent board files with an "older" firmware
> file ?

To my knowledge board files are not dependent on the firmware versions.
So yes, you should be able to use newer board-2.bin with older firmware
release.

> Q3) how to know which firmware files to use for my specific device ?

The firmware releases are not "device" specific (but of course it
depends on what you mean with device in this context). But my
recommendation is to always use the latest firmware which works with
your kernel (WITHOUT any symlink hacks etc).