[v2,1/3] ath9k: Support channels in licensed bands

Kalle Valo kvalo at codeaurora.org
Thu May 11 04:38:58 PDT 2017

Simon Wunderlich <sw at simonwunderlich.de> writes:

> it seems like there was some discussion here and I wouldn't expect too many
> more opinions ... do you think we can have a decision based on what has been
> discussed here?

Well, there was an excellent reply from Steve and quite a few "in my
opinion this is safe" type of answers. [1] But bluntly said it does not
really matter what we (the engineers) think. What really matters here
are regulatory authorities' opinions and rulings. In that respect here
are few items I want to point out:

o I suspect that from someone's, who is not familiar with software
  engineering, point of view there is still quite a diffference from
  modifiying source code or just enabling few options from Kconfig with
  a custom regdb rule.

o I don't know about other countries, but in Finland applying for any
  type of license (even if just to a license to drive a moped) needs
  both time and money. So there is significant effort anyway needed to
  legally use this band. And how many users there really are is unclear.

o Also this is not about enabling or disabling channel 13, but about a
  public _safety_ band which makes me very uneasy.

So the way I see this is that the risks outweigh the benefits and that's
why I do not want to take these. Sorry.

[1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9641105/