Is using 802.11s with DFS possible?

Simon Wunderlich sw at simonwunderlich.de
Fri Jun 30 02:48:29 PDT 2017

On Friday, June 30, 2017 12:08:51 PM CEST Chun-Yeow Yeoh wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 1:53 AM, Peter Oh <peter.oh at bowerswilkins.com>
wrote:
> > On 06/28/2017 06:54 PM, Zach Sherin wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I've been running some experiments in LEDE thanks to your help many
> >> months ago, and I want to use DFS frequencies with my mesh network.
> >> Does ath10k currently support this or am I up a creek? My tests show
> >> that I can use DFS frequencies with AP mode but have always failed
> >> when I use them in a mesh, such that the interface won't even start.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?
> >
> > As far as I know, no DFS channels enabled in mesh mode at this moment.
> > To support DFS channels in mesh mode, wpa_supplicant and mac80211 changes
> > are required.
>
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg162307.html
> Simon and Benjamin have submitted the above patches and some of them
> has upstream to mac80211-next.
>
> Perhaps, Simon and Benjamin can comment on this.

Our mac80211 patches have been upstreamed. However, the (experimental)
wpa_supplicant patches have not been adopted and I've reworked them a little
but they are not in a state to resubmit yet. So I don't expect the
wpa_supplicant portion to work yet, and you also may need to think of a good
way to have the mesh peers on a channel succession order.

Cheers,
     Simon