QCA4019: calibration files and board files

Rajkumar Manoharan rmanohar at codeaurora.org
Tue Feb 28 19:22:32 PST 2017

On 2017-02-27 23:58, Sven Eckelmann wrote:
> It looks to me now that this information is contradicting your
> implementation
> (which now loads the data from 0:ART partition [1] like pre-cal data
> [2] and
> then loads the board-2.bin [3]).

Both reading from ART and loading pre-cal data file are same.

> I have doubt regarding his explanation but I got no actual spec - only
> information which seems to be contradicting (or to vague) . Is is
> possible
> to get some confirmation from you about whether the data from the 0:ART
> partition is pre-cal data or not and whether the board-2.bin should be
> used when the data from 0:ART is used.

In QCA4019 platform, only radio specific calibration (pre-cal-data) is
stored in flash.
Board specific contents are read from board-2.bin. For each radio
appropriate board
data should be loaded. To fetch correct board data from board-2.bin
bundle, pre-cal/radio
specific caldata should be loaded first to get proper board id.

> My understanding until now was that:
>
>  * pre-cal data + board-2.bin info == actual calibration data

Correct.

>  * pre-cal data == some incomplete calibration data from somewhere else
>                    (he never specified it - just that it exists)
>  * calibration data == incomplete calibration data from 0:ART
>                        (what I've described in the past as pre-cal
> data)
>  * (pre-cal or calibration data) + board-2.bin info == actual
> calibration data
>
> Would be nice if this confusion could be cleared up by you.

Following methods are used to read radio specific caldata.

1) In some platform which lags DT support, init.d script is used to read
the calibrations content from flash memory and write it in file system
at boot time.
This is done by dd command.

2) DT entry “qcom,ath10k-pre-calibration-data" is used to pass
calibration data
from flash to driver. But it needs CoreBSB support to transfer the
contents from
flash to device tree.

qcom,pre-calibration-data ==> only radio specific calibration.
qcom,calibration-data ==> {radio specific + board specific calibration}.

3) Reading calibration data directly from ART partition by mtd_read
operation. This one
can be removed from QSDK either by init script or by DT support.

"qcom,calibration-data" is used for qca988x on AP148 plaform. Here
calibration data mean
both radio + board contents. Always calibration content are stored in
ART partition.

-Rajkumar