QCA9880 slow performance adhoc/IBSS mode

Ralph Houthoofdt ralph at rora.be
Tue Feb 28 08:51:14 PST 2017

Dear all,

I’m currently doing me masters thesis on the subject of Wireless Mesh
Networks and how to optimize them for home use.
The devices I use are 5x PC Engine APU2c4 with 2x QCA9880 chip (Compex
WLE900VX). All of them are running LEDE (OpenWRT fork).

The problem I’m experiencing is the same as
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/ath10k/2017-January/009075.html . Using
the tips mentioned I did not come to a better performance. I’m thinking it’s
driver related..
When running iperf3 only one direction is running at a reasonable
throughput. Since I am using adhoc mode primarily I decided to use these
packages:
-	Kmod-ath10k-ct
-	Ath10k-firmware-qca988x-ct
Some sources on the internet said that using the Candela Tech drivers should
result in better support for adhoc/mesh networks.

As suggested in the other issue linked above, I switched TCP congestion
control to ‘Reno’ instead of the default ‘Cubic’.
I also did try the command “iw reg set BE” since I am from Belgium, but
running “iw reg get” right after still gave me US as a result.

Let me know what additional command info I should post. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Iwconfig:
adhoc0    IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"mesh"
          Mode:Ad-Hoc  Frequency:5.18 GHz  Cell: 02:CA:FE:CA:CA:40
          Tx-Power=20 dBm
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off

Iw reg get (I’m from Belgium):
global
country BE: DFS-ETSI
        (2402 - 2482 @ 40), (N/A, 20), (N/A)
        (5170 - 5250 @ 80), (N/A, 20), (N/A), AUTO-BW
        (5250 - 5330 @ 80), (N/A, 20), (0 ms), DFS, AUTO-BW
        (5490 - 5710 @ 160), (N/A, 27), (0 ms), DFS
        (57000 - 66000 @ 2160), (N/A, 40), (N/A)

phy#1
country US: DFS-FCC
        (2402 - 2472 @ 40), (N/A, 30), (N/A)
        (5170 - 5250 @ 80), (N/A, 23), (N/A), AUTO-BW
        (5250 - 5330 @ 80), (N/A, 23), (0 ms), DFS, AUTO-BW
        (5490 - 5730 @ 160), (N/A, 23), (0 ms), DFS
        (5735 - 5835 @ 80), (N/A, 30), (N/A)
        (57240 - 63720 @ 2160), (N/A, 40), (N/A)

phy#0
country US: DFS-FCC
        (2402 - 2472 @ 40), (N/A, 30), (N/A)
        (5170 - 5250 @ 80), (N/A, 23), (N/A), AUTO-BW
        (5250 - 5330 @ 80), (N/A, 23), (0 ms), DFS, AUTO-BW
        (5490 - 5730 @ 160), (N/A, 23), (0 ms), DFS
        (5735 - 5835 @ 80), (N/A, 30), (N/A)
        (57240 - 63720 @ 2160), (N/A, 40), (N/A)

Kind regards,
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Ralph Houthoofdt
Student industriële wetenschappen informatica