9984 VHT

Sebastian Gottschall s.gottschall at dd-wrt.com
Tue Feb 14 07:21:13 PST 2017

Am 14.02.2017 um 11:30 schrieb Valo, Kalle:
> (you forgot to CC ath10k list, adding it back)
>
> Sebastian Gottschall <s.gottschall at dd-wrt.com> writes:

>>> I don't know what flag exactly you are referring to, but using a WMI
>>> service flag to detect this is not really reliable. They can be enabled
>>> or disabled between branches, or even between builds.
>> valid argument. but these flags should than be also introduced in
>> codeaurora images
> I'm not involved with codeaurora images so I can't help with that.
>
> But the firmware is not supposed to break the firmware interface like
> this. Can someone please write a detailed bug report as a reply to this
> mail (what version, from which location, how exactly the interface is
> broken) and I'll try to report the issue internally.
i'm not good in this. but let me try to describe whats wrong
all the current firmware images including your latest 3.3 based suffer
from this issue.
old behaviour with
https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware/raw/master/QCA9984/hw1.0/firmware-5.bin_10.4-3.2-00072
center freq is stored in band_center_freq1

new behaviour with
https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware/raw/master/QCA9984/hw1.0/3.3/firmware-5.bin_10.4-3.3-00092
and all other newers including 3.4 series
center freq is stored in band_center_freq2. where center_freq1 must
contain the lower or upper side channel depending on the setting

example for new firmware in  ath10k_wmi_put_wmi_channel
         if (arg->mode == MODE_11AC_VHT160)  {
                 if (arg->freq < arg->band_center_freq1)
                         ch->band_center_freq1 =
__cpu_to_le32(arg->band_center_freq1 - 40);
                 else
                         ch->band_center_freq1 =
__cpu_to_le32(arg->band_center_freq1 + 40);
                 ch->band_center_freq2 =
__cpu_to_le32(arg->band_center_freq1);
         }

according to some code i found in hostapd this has been made to
workaround a issue with vht80 capable client who arent able to associate
with vht160 networks.
the same workaround has been implemented in recent hostapd versions. so
solving this on firmware side isnt neccessary, but qca was going this way

see also this patch which is now in mainline of hostapd

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/blob/master/hostapd/700-interoperability-workaround-for-80%2B80-and-160-MHz-channels

you will clearly see that it is related to the new behaviour of the
qca9984 firmware (and likelly other vht160mhz capable chipset firmware,
but i can't check them without having the devices)

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen / Regards

Sebastian Gottschall / CTO

NewMedia-NET GmbH - DD-WRT
Firmensitz:  Berliner Ring 101, 64625 Bensheim
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 25473
Geschäftsführer: Peter Steinhäuser, Christian Scheele
http://www.dd-wrt.com
email: s.gottschall at dd-wrt.com
Tel.: +496251-582650 / Fax: +496251-5826565