Incomplete scan results after rf(un)kill

Daniel J Blueman daniel at quora.org
Mon Feb 6 22:59:58 PST 2017

On 30 January 2017 at 20:56, Daniel J Blueman <daniel at quora.org> wrote:
> On 30 January 2017 at 16:04, Valo, Kalle <kvalo at qca.qualcomm.com> wrote:
>> Daniel J Blueman <daniel at quora.org> writes:

>>> Many thanks for following up Kalle! Interestingly, I do see the same
>>> subset of APs (but not the strongest) in the Networkmanager GUI,
>>> however when I scan from the CLI, nothing:
>>>
>>> # nmcli dev wifi
>>> *  SSID  MODE  CHAN  RATE  SIGNAL  BARS  SECURITY
>>> #
>>
>> Better to use 'sudo iw wlan0 scan' (or whatever is the ath10k network
>> interface name in your setup, systemd has made guessing the name
>> difficult). That provides more information and communicates directly
>> with kernel.
>
> Good tip; I'll harvest this info at next occurrence.
>
>>> The issue also occurs when coming out of suspend. I didn't check dmesg
>>> other times, but this may or may not be related:
>>>
>>> [  204.454815] WARNING: CPU: 3 PID: 0 at
>>> /home/kernel/COD/linux/net/core/dev.c:5161 net_rx_action+0x26e/0x380
>>
>> It may very well be. Do you know exactly to what warning that line 5161
>> points to in your kernel version? With latest ath.git master branch line
>> 5182 in dev.c is this warning napi_poll():
>>
>>         WARN_ON_ONCE(work > weight);
>>
>> But I do not know if you are seeing that warning or something else
>> because my kernel sources doesn't match what you use.
>
> I'm using the ubuntu mainline builds; WARN_ON_ONCE(work > weight) is
> at line 5161 in dev.c in 4.9.6.

I have confirmed this behaviour multiple times now on 4.9.8.

Initially, we see the networkmanager UI show always 1 AP, but the CLI
scan list is empty:
$ sudo nmcli dev wifi
*  SSID  MODE  CHAN  RATE  SIGNAL  BARS  SECURITY
$

However, after executing a scan with iw, all the expected APs are listed:
$ sudo iw wlp58s0 scan
..lots of APs
$

We then see networkmanager connect to the expected AP, and 'sudo nmcli
dev wifi' shows all the APs in the iw scan.

Would this likely be a networkmanager issue, or driver?

Thanks Kalle!

Dan
--
Daniel J Blueman