Linux freezes after a time while running

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Fri Nov 18 09:21:34 PST 2016

On 11/18/2016 06:47 AM, Michal Kazior wrote:
> On 16 November 2016 at 23:21, Conrad Kostecki <ck+ath10k at bl4ckb0x.de> wrote:
>> Hello Michal,
>>
>> Am 07.11.2016 17:43:02, "Michal Kazior" <michal.kazior at tieto.com> schrieb:
>>

>>> I assume you used a different kernel in the past compared to the
>>> recent test you did. You could try re-testing the older kernel
>>> (assuming you remember which one it was) and if it works you could
>>> bisect your way to find the commit that breaks it for you.
>>>

>> I don't have the older kernel config anymore, but it was pretty the same, as
>> my current one.
>> I've now done some tests and it's quite interesseting. Kernelversion did not
>> matter for me.
>>
>> Running with current firmware-5.bin, it's always crashing. I tried different
>> BIOS options, nothing helped.
>>
>> BUT: Downgrade to firmware-2.bin helps.
>> ath10k_pci 0000:03:00.0: firmware ver 10.1.467.3-1 api 2 features wmi-10.x,
>> has-wmi-mgmt-tx,no-p2p crc32 2c3ffc2f
>>
>> Running such old firmware, the Wifi just runs stable. NO firmware crash
>> happens. When I just change firmware back to firmware-5.bin, it crashes
>> again.
>> So there seems to changed something. Can be this debugged somehow?
>>
>> With firmware-2.bin, I am also getting such errors, but WiFi works fine:
>> [   82.504901] ath10k_pci 0000:03:00.0: SWBA overrun on vdev 0, skipped old
>> beacon
>> [   82.556103] ath10k_pci 0000:03:00.0: SWBA overrun on vdev 1, skipped old
>> beacon
>> [   87.113085] ath10k_warn: 89 callbacks suppressed
>>
>> Currently, the workaround is for me firmware-2.bin, but IMHO it's not a
>> solution..
>> Any Ideas?
>
> Hmm.. looks like there's a stall in target-host communication for ~5
> seconds (89 suppressed warnings match 2 vifs beaconing at ~100ms
> interval).
>
> Did you try running without multi-BSS, i.e. just one AP vif? That's
> probably not going to help but it's worth ruling that out.

While backporting some 10.2 code into my 10.1 tree, I found a change to
the CE logic in the firmware that appeared to cause hangs in our longer
duration runs.

I'll trade a hint of how to possibly fix this for a hint of how to fix
the warm-start/cold-start bug that is evidently fixed in 10.2 upstream firmware :)