Setting per-frame tx rate for frames injected in raw tx mode

Raj Joshi rajjoshi at comp.nus.edu.sg
Sat May 14 19:40:15 PDT 2016

Thanks for such useful info. Setting of multiple rate codes for
channel width, GI, NSS and MCS is what my RA implementation for ath9k
does. It also relies on advanced tx-status reporting to know the
retries etc. I am not planning to account for MU-MIMO for the
beginning. But it helps to know that it would require work and the
support is not ready yet.

For my understanding, I would like to know ath10k vis-a-vis ath9k from
the perspective of rate-adaptation (RA):
1) Scheme/Algorithm: ath9k uses Minstrel-HT and an overview (basis of
the algorithm) is available online [1]. What is the scheme/algorithm
being used by ath10k? Any overview/documentation available?
2) Where implemented?: Minstrel-HT is implemented in mac80211. Where
is ath10k's RA implemented?
3) Where in pipeline is the rate set?: With Minstrel-HT rate is set in
mac80211 before passing the frame onto ath9k. With ath10k, where the
rate is set? Can anyone point me to the line(s) of code where the rate
is it (of course if that part is open-source). As far as I have
investigated, the rate set in mac80211 is not honored by
ath10k/firmware/hardware.

[1] https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/mac80211/ratecontrol/minstrel

Thanks,
Raj Joshi