[RFC] ath10k: silence firmware file probing warnings

Arend van Spriel arend.vanspriel at broadcom.com
Thu Jul 28 12:23:35 PDT 2016

On 23-07-16 00:05, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 10:38:24AM +0200, Arend Van Spriel wrote:
>> + Luis
>>
>> On 21-7-2016 13:51, Stanislaw Gruszka wrote:
>>> (cc: firmware and brcmfmac maintainers)

>>> They don't need that, like 99% of the drivers I think, hence changing the
>>> default seems to be more reasonable. However changing 3 drivers would work
>>> for me as well, and that change do not introduce risk of broking drivers
>>> that require udev fw download.
>>>
>>> iwlwifi and ath10k are trivial, bcrmfmac is a bit more complex as it
>>> use request_firmware_nowait(), so it first need to be converted to
>>> ordinary request_firmware(), but this should be doable and I can do
>>> that.
>>
>> I am going bonkers here. This is the Nth time a discussion pops up on
>> firmware API usage. I stopped counting N :-( So the first issue was that
>> the INIT was taking to long as we were requesting firmware during probe
>> which was executed in the INIT context. So we added a worker and
>> register the driver from there. There was probably a reason for
>> switching to _no_wait() as well, but I do not recall the details. The
>> things is I don't know if I need user-space or not. I just need firmware
>> to get the device up and running. We have changed our driver a couple of
>> times now to accommodate something that in my opinion should have been
>> abstracted behind the firmware API in the first place and now here is
>> another proposal to change the drivers. Come on!
>
> Its a big mess, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that none of the
> issues have been well documented. Its also not clear what distros, driver
> developers or users should do. I've tried helping with by providing such
> documentation and also providing grammar rules to avoid further issues [0],
> hopefully this series will be merged soon.
>
> [0] https://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=146611775314567
>
> Using grammar rules the hunt with coccinelle as of today's linux-next
> reveals there are only 2 explicit users of the usermode helper, and
> I've vetted for these as well in the above patch series.
>
> Now, other than this users will experience the usermode helper if the
> distribution messed up and build their kernel with the fallback
> usermode helper. If this was done on some old kernel the only way
> to fix that is to fix that kernel build or change drivers to avoid
> the usermode helper explicitly, unfortunately some API calls cannot
> avoid it .... I've documented all this in the above series.
>
>>> However I wonder if changing that will not broke the case when
>>> driver is build-in in the kernel and f/w is not yet available when
>>> driver start to initialize.
>
> Indeed, tons of races are in theory possible here ;) technically since we use a
> common API to read files directly now, a race might also be possible for other
> users of the API on init as well. I have some grammar rules to test for this in
> development, that is to vet that not only the firmware API is checked and we
> [...]

So I had a look and noticed commit c8df68e83392 ("firmware: annotate
thou shalt not request fw on init or probe"). Now this conflicts with
our wireless driver. The original suggestion a long, long time ago was
to use IFF_UP as trigger to go and request firmware. However, for that
we would need to register a netdevice during probe, and consequently we
should also have a wiphy instance registered. However, that has all kind
of feature flags for which we need firmware running on the device to
query what is supported and what not. I can make a fair bet that
brcmfmac is not the only driver with such a requirement. So how can we
crack that nut.

Regards,
Arend