Completely disabling RTS/CTS

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu Jul 21 20:21:10 PDT 2016

On 07/21/2016 07:54 PM, Raj Joshi wrote:
> I am operating VHT (802.11ac) in AP-client configuration and thus
> aggregation is inevitable (as per the standard) as well as desirable
> (I suppose). I am receiving all A-MSDUs and not A-MPDUs. Now since
> losses are expensive to recover in case of A-MSDUs than A-MPDUs, is
> that the reason that there are intermittent RTS/CTS frames by rate
> control?
>
> If the culprit is firmware rate-control, I can try setting the bitrate
> mask and check again. Also how can I force the use of A-MPDUs rather
> than A-MSDUs? If this is outside the purview of firmware rate control,
> then I can try this one as well.

AMPDU and AMSDU should work fine in STA and AP mode.  If you are using IBSS,
then firmware must disable AMSDU since there seems to be some hardware bug with
IBSS and AMSDU.

I don't think you can affect RTS/CTS from the host.  I think it would require
a firmware code change to disable RTS/CTS rate-code entries.

I think there is a way to set the AMSDU size, and you could make it small
enough to effectively disable AMSDU.