Unable to get a Compex WLE600NX working with hostapd

Michal Kazior michal.kazior at tieto.com
Tue Jan 12 08:13:45 PST 2016

On 12 January 2016 at 17:01, Matthias Cramer <cramer at freestone.net> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I already spent several hours trying to build an AP with hostapd and a Compex WLE600NX card.
> I have found several examples which seemed to work for the author on this mailing list but all more than 1 year old.
>
> My system runs Debian unstable with kernel 4.3.0-1-amd64 (stable and testing do not have the ath10k firmware).
> hostapd v2.3
>
> my config looks like this (is one of the configs I found here with very small changes):
[...]
> ### DFS
> ieee80211h=1
> ieee80211d=1
> country_code=CH
[...]
> This is the output if I start hostapd form the console:
>
> Configuration file: hostapd.conf
> wlp4s0: interface state UNINITIALIZED->COUNTRY_UPDATE
> ACS: Automatic channel selection started, this may take a bit
> wlp4s0: interface state COUNTRY_UPDATE->ACS
> wlp4s0: ACS-STARTED
> wlp4s0: ACS-COMPLETED freq=5260 channel=52
> wlp4s0: interface state ACS->HT_SCAN
> wlp4s0: interface state HT_SCAN->DFS
> wlp4s0: DFS-CAC-START freq=5260 chan=52 sec_chan=1, width=1, seg0=58, seg1=0, cac_time=0s
> DFS start_dfs_cac() failed, -1
[...]

Can you try running with "-dddd" for more debug output?

I don't know how debian builds the kernel but it might not have the
regulatory onus enabled (which is required for DFS operation).

Generally see output of these two commands:
 iw list
 iw reg get

In the first one you need to see something like the following to be
able to use DFS channels:

  radar detect widths: { 20 MHz (no HT), 20 MHz, 40 MHz, 80 MHz }

But maybe you don't really need DFS channels? In that case you can use
channels 36,40,44,48 or 149,154,159,163 depending on your regulatory
settings. Again - `iw list` will help you see which channels are
allowed and which aren't.