QCA6164 in Fedora

Susi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 9 17:48:31 PDT 2015

On 09/03/2015 06:02 PM, Susi Lehtola wrote:
> Hello people,
>

> I recently bought a Lenovo U31 laptop for work, and was surprised
> wireless didn't work out of the box.
>
> Fortunately thanks to you the card (supposedly) works in linux, but I
> have yet to get mine to work.
>
> I've patched the Fedora 4.1.6 kernel
>   https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=1069561&action=diff
> to add support for the card, which I adapted from
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1436940
>
> However, I'm having trouble loading the firmware. I took the firmware
> files from
>
> https://github.com/atondwal/ath10k-firmware/commit/88fca85ef59d708b9874e5b7885416b58aef9ee7
>
> and installed them into /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw2.1/

I can confirm the card works with the linux-next tree, using a snapshot
I took today.

However, it would be nice to get this working in the 4.1.6 kernel which
supposedly supports the 6174 chip.

The problem in the Fedora kernel is that the direct firmware load fails,
althoug the same firmware works with the linux-next tree.

What would need to be backported to the 4.1 tree in order to get the
card working?
--
Susi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor