Ath10 firmware crashing in Monitor mode(Sniffer mode)

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Tue May 12 07:41:06 PDT 2015

On 05/12/2015 03:14 AM, Michal Kazior wrote:
> On 12 May 2015 at 11:31, s prasad <sprasad.kandregula at gmail.com> wrote:
>> May I know, is this firmware or driver constraint?
>> If somebody have patch for this, am ready to test it.
>
> Short answer: There's nothing, yet.
>
> Long answer:
>
>  From what I know official firmware doesn't support injecting packets
> via monitor vdev. This is a firmware limitation.
>
> A way around this may be creating and using an additional vdev, e.g.
> AP. This will be rather ugly but may work. There's no patch for it.
>
> An alternative would be to ask Ben to modify his CT-firmware branch.

I gave this a decent try a month or two ago, and had no luck.  The hardware
(from what I can tell), just will not send a frame to an unknown peer.

I noticed the other day that ANQP will not work on ath10k, and I suspect
similar issues..so I will be in that code again.  Maybe I'll learn
how to trick it into sending arbitrary frames.

All that said, there is no way to specify rate-ctrl info on a per-pkt
basis when injecting frames, so I don't know what good injecting frames
on a mgt device will accomplish.