ath10k: freeze after disconnection on killer1525

Michal Kazior michal.kazior at tieto.com
Mon May 11 21:52:27 PDT 2015

On 11 May 2015 at 23:17, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
> On 05/11/2015 06:30 AM, Michal Kazior wrote:
>> On 11 May 2015 at 14:50, Gabriele Martino <g.martino at gmx.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm using a Killer 1525 with hw2.1 firmware, and sometimes it stop working.
>>> I can get it working again disconnecting and reconnecting, but sometimes
>>> on disconnection it freezes for a long time:
>>>
>>> [ 2740.035190] dmar: DRHD: handling fault status reg 2
>>> [ 2740.035195] dmar: DMAR:[DMA Read] Request device [03:00.0] fault addr
>>> ffbeb000
>>>                DMAR:[fault reason 06] PTE Read access is not
>>> set
>>
>> This looks like DMA tx pool memory address. I suspect
>> firmware/hardware tried to access memory which was already unmapped by
>> ath10k.
>>
>> If you're feeling lucky you could disable IOMMU - this should prevent
>> from crashing and disconnecting. However this is hardly a solution
>> unless you're okay with the device reading random memory and doing
>> *stuff* with it (plaintext password from RAM sent on the air, anyone?
>> :-)
>
> I don't actually see a firmware crash here.  This looks a bit like the problem
> I hit where the WMI transport basically hangs, but the firmware does not actually
> crash.  (I don't remember seeing any DMAR issues in my case, not sure if
> that is significant or not.)

Firmware won't necessarily crash. I guess it depends on IOMMU
controller whether the device will actually crash per se and qca6174
is a little more forgiving against faulted host memory access. qca988x
tends to just crash outright if it gets a DMAR fault.

> I added some keep-alive messages, busy polling, and firmware watchdog logic
> to my kernel and firmware that seem to have effectively worked around
> this problem.
>
> My kernels also have work-arounds for the hangs (FW watchdog will kill truly hung
> firmware in about 5 seconds and then system should recover normally).
>
> Gabriele:  If you want to try my 3.17 kernel and CT firmware I'm curious to
> see logs if you see similar problems.

He's using qca6174, not qca988x. Your firmware does not apply in this case.