IBSS support in ath10k - our test results and questions

Sven Eckelmann sven at open-mesh.com
Mon Mar 23 04:24:51 PDT 2015

On Thursday 19 March 2015 14:40:42 Ben Greear wrote:
> In case you have a public kernel tree available somewhere with all your
> patches, that might help speed up someone's attempt to reproduce this?

I have uploaded the patchset of our test setup at

 git://dev.cloudtrax.com/ath10k-ibss-test.git
 https://dev.cloudtrax.com/git/ath10k-ibss-test.git

As Simon already said, it is not a kernel tree but patches on top of compat-
wireless from OpenWrt r44654. If you want to import something into an actual
tree then please create patches and replace the CPTCFG_* strings with
CONFIG_*.

Here a small explanation of the branches:

 * openwrt_44654: initial import of the source + patches of mac80211
   (compat-wireless) package from OpenWrt r44654
 * ath3.19: patches of ath10k which were between the compat-wireless version
   and Linux 3.19
 * candelatech-lf-lf-5.3.1 patches taken from Candelatech's 3.19 tree (minus
   some patches which weren't related to the wireless stuff)
 * master: the patches which were used for the IBSS test with Ben Greear's
   firmware. Most came from Janusz Dziedzic. The rest are just a few small
   changes to fix builds, workarounds to fix loading of the firmware and some
   required patches for Janusz Dziedzic's IBSS stuff.
 * fw-999.999-ibss patch to allow loading of the original firmware with most
   of Ben Greear's patches. Was used to verify that the original 999.x
   firmware worked fine with block ack sessions + aggregation

The only patches not included here are some test patches which weren't part of
the actual "performance" tests. This includes patches used for debugging and
tests to check the IBSS RSN stuff over ath10k (which failed - most likely due
to some firmware "features" regarding encryption which resulted in non-
decryptable packets).

I think you can use wpa_supplicant 2.4 for VHT. I personally used a patched
version of iw which hardcoded the ibss join VHT parameters. I haven't tested
this yet because I've done the port of the OpenWrt patches on friday evening
and hadn't time to test it with ath10k. But this problem doesn't require VHT
features and thus should be visible with the plain HT setup and no VHT
enabled.

Kind regards,
	Sven

PS: Not sure if you have finished the test with ath9k IBSS RSN + HT. I was
under the impression that you had problems with it. Beside the stuff I already
wrote in an earlier mail, the only thing which came to my mind was the
wpa_supplicant build setup. IBSS RSN doesn't work with a standard build and
you have to enable CONFIG_IBSS_RSN in the wpa_supplicant config. An example
config which works (with the OpenWrt build system of course) can be found at

 https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/package/network/services/hostapd/files/wpa_supplicant-full.config?rev=38852

The wpa_supplicant (runtime) config would be look like this:

ap_scan=2
network={
        scan_ssid=0
        ssid="mesh"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        mode=1
        fixed_freq=1
        frequency=5180
        mode=1
        psk="9f0a965af38f2d0a13b66d8b46ab962c"
        proto=RSN
        bssid=02:CA:FE:CA:CA:40
        # openwrt specific patch for htmode, mcast_rate
        htmode=HT40+
        mcast_rate=18
}