IBSS support in ath10k - our test results and questions

Simon Wunderlich simon at open-mesh.com
Fri Mar 20 07:26:21 PDT 2015

On Thursday 19 March 2015 14:40:42 Ben Greear wrote:
> On 03/19/2015 10:06 AM, Simon Wunderlich wrote:
> > [...]
> >  * We see low throughput when communicating via IBSS between 2x ath10k or
> >  1x
> >
> > ath9k + 1x ath10k (~30 MiBit/s). With HT we would have expected ~150
> > MBit/s, with VHT even more.
>
> Do you see this problem with only an IBSS interface?  In other words, is my
> firmware worse at this than stock 999.x firmware in same configuration?

Yes, we used your firmware with only one IBSS interface. And yes, in our tests
your firmware performed worse - with stock 999.x firmware we saw 70-90 Mbit/s,
which was also not great, but way better. Also in that case we saw that
aggregation was enabled.

The AP+IBSS concurrently was another test.

As also mentioned originally, 999.x firmware is not an option for us since we
will eventually need AP and IBSS at the same time.

> Thanks for all the details...  Sounds like you have done more testing on
> this than I have for sure.

We want to integrate IBSS mode into products, so we have to test thoroughly.
:)

If you also want to focus on IBSS, we would be happy to collaborate and test.

> In case you have a public kernel tree available somewhere with all your
> patches, that might help speed up someone's attempt to reproduce this?

We currently don't have it. I'll ask if we can publish it. Our work was based
on a backports release on the mac80211 package in OpenWRT, though, so don't
expect a kernel tree. :)

Thanks,
    Simon