Anyone seeing tx-credits 'hang'?

Michal Kazior michal.kazior at tieto.com
Tue Jan 20 23:22:27 PST 2015

On 20 January 2015 at 05:34, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
> Ok, so I think I've mostly got this figured out...at least enough to
> work around the problem.
>
> It seems that the firmware and/or NIC hardware stops doing CE interrupts
> for the WMI rings (at least).  If I force a poll of
> the rings, then packets are found and may be processed.

So you just keep calling ath10k_hif_send_complete_check() (or
ath10k_ce_per_engine_service) for polling, right?

> In one case I looked at closely, it seems IRQs went away for around 30
> seconds,
> and then for no obvious reason IRQs for the rings started being delivered
> and
> processed again. ~20 WMI messages were processed due to polling CE rings in
> this
> interval.

Out of curiosity - what irq mode are you using? Shared or MSI? Or did
you try both?

> The combination of WMI keep-alive messages sent from host, and
> timer to check for timeouts (and do CE polling at higher intervals
> when timeout is detected) appears to be enough.  I also check
> for the IRQ working again and stop the polling at that time.
>
> I plan to clean the firmware changes up and commit them to my
> own repo...but it will require host changes to enable the keep-alive
> to fully work around this problem.  Probably none of this will make
> it upstream....

We could add a watchdog to WMI which uses the `echo` command and look
at echo events and tx credit completion (WMI is notified about that).
In case neither comes in in a timely fashion (lets say 1s which is
less than WMI command timeout of 3s) we start polling until things
settle down. This should work with standard firmware, no?