Slow connect times?

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 10:58:18 PST 2014

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
> On 11/03/2014 05:35 PM, Avery Pennarun wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 8:04 PM, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
>>> If I am reading my results right, it takes over 2 seconds to associate an
>>> ath10k station with WPA2 PSK on my systems.
>>>
>>> I was thinking this should be quite a bit faster than this...
>>>
>>> Has anyone done any similar measurements?
>>
>> I haven't noticed any delay like this.  WPA2 PSK negotiation is on the
>> order of ~200ms or less. Then DHCP screws around for a few seconds,
>> often.
>>
>> A packet trace would probably be useful for narrowing it down :)
>
> First part of my problem is that I had some extra debugging turned on and
> that was being sent to serial console, which is slow.
>
> But, even with that off I am still seeing ~200ms at best.
>
> Ath9k system on crappy old Atom processors usually completes in
> less than 20ms for comparison.
>
> Off to go spelunking in the ath10k code :P

That's very interesting for me.  200ms was kind of a worst case in my
traces, and I'm mostly seeing 20-40ms.  I think the key exchange is
all hostapd, so I'm surprised it would take so long.  Do you have a
trace?

Note that I *have* seen weird problems with delayed probe packets to
some clients, which could cause things like this.  But that's
apparently only because I applied Michal's patch to get rid of queue
blocking :)