TR : ath10k: firmware crash in station mode

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Tue May 27 12:13:21 PDT 2014

On 05/24/2014 09:14 AM, Ben Greear wrote:

> On 05/23/2014 11:29 PM, Tim Harvey wrote:

>>> Well, if nothing else, you could try my firmware, with a small patch to
>>> make it work on standard kernels.  If you can crash it, send me the
>>> firmware crash message and I'll see if I can fix it.
>>>
>>> Current binary is non-commercial, but I will shortly have a free-for-whatever-use
>>> binary that has everything except the multiple-vif-to-same-ap-with-encryption
>>> feature.  Virtually no one except folks like us doing wifi testing equipment
>>> needs that feature....
>>>
>>> My firmware has been fairly well tested with my patched kernel and in
>>> station and AP mode.  I'm sure there are still bugs, but I will try
>>> to fix them, at least.
>>>
>>> http://www.candelatech.com/vsta.php
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ben
>>>

>> Ben,
>>
>> I tried using your firmware on a 3.14 kernel without any luck. I don't
>> see any errors, but the sta never associates nor see's any ap on scan.
>> I followed http://www.candelatech.com/vsta.php step 4 and step 6 and
>> did this on OpenWrt, so the udev stuff doesn't apply.
>
> Skip step 6 unless you are using my kernel.  Just step 4 for upstream
> kernels.  I need to make a separate page for folks just using my CT
> firmware on normal kernels doing normal things...
>
> No arguments with the rest of your email :)

I have just uploaded my latest firmware image, and it now works on
un-modified kernels (tested on Ubuntu 14.04 system with kernel
3.13.0-24-generic:  Brought up a station, associated with AP on
channel 36, obtained DHCP address).  I have not done any extensive
testing of our firmware on standard kernels.

You should only have to copy the firmware image to your existing system
and reboot and it should just work (tm).

One problem we often see is that the regulatory domain gets too restrictive
when we have several nics and/or different timezones and/or different
domains configured directly with 'iw'.

This keeps you from scanning on all normally available channels.

I have hacked my kernel to allow ignoring ath10k (and ath9k) regulatory
settings in the NICs, and we are now careful about the timezone
settings, but please do double-check that if you have scan issues,
you are actually scanning the needed channels.

'iw event' has enough info to show this.

If you do get a chance to try our firmware again, I'm interested
to know the results.