Firmware crash when sending large numbers of forwarded packets

Kalle Valo kvalo at qca.qualcomm.com
Sat Mar 8 03:03:31 EST 2014

Hi Avery,

Avery Pennarun <apenwarr at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm having a problem where if I transmit too fast out the ath10k
> interface in AP mode, I get a near-immediate firmware crash.

[...]

> Versions:
> - kernel is based on current kvalo/for-linville branch (should I try
> something else?) but seems to be the same in linux-next-20140114 so I
> don't think this behaviour has changed lately.

I do not recommend using for-linville branch for anything. As the name
implies, it's only for John Linville to pull ath10k and ath6kl changes
to his tree.

What I recommend is to use the master branch of my ath.git tree. That's
fairly recent wireless-testing (max 2 weeks old) plus latest ath10k +
ath6kl patches I have (ie. merge of wireless-testing and my ath-next
branch).

But if you prefer to have clean history (which wireless-testing doesn't
have), you can also use ath-next branch directly. That contains the
patches which I'm planning to send Linville next.

I wrote some documentation about branches here:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath10k/sources#Git_branches

But in a nutshell, use the master branch if you can. That way you are
best aligned with the ath10k developers and also spot any regressions
early on.

> - firmware version 10.1.467.2-1, but also tested with 10.1.467.1-1
> with no difference.
>
> I assume other people are not experiencing this or they would have
> mentioned it by now.  What can I do to help debug this?

We have reported the issue to the firmware team and got some feedback
already. Hopefully we know more early next week.