fetching calibration data from flash

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Mon Jun 16 07:53:22 PDT 2014

On 06/16/2014 05:24 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> writes:

>>> So basically you want a configuration (".ini") file for ath10k, right? I
>>> have seen those in out-of-tree drivers, but not in upstream drivers.
>>>
>>> If I'm guessing right what these configuration items would do in ath10k,
>>> I think instead of static configuration it would be much more flexible
>>> to have this stuff configurable dynamically. But how, that's the
>>> question. A sysfs file to set different profiles (or modes) was the
>>> first one which came to my mind, but that's ugly.
>>
>> You also need this info before you do the initial firmware configuration,
>> otherwise you are going to have to restart firmware again later to apply
>> the new config (and advertise different interface combinations up the
>> stack, etc).
>
> Ok.
>
>> Maybe a kernel module option to point to a file-name would work
>> (with some way to give different options to different nics in the
>> same system).
>
> Over years I have seen these .ini suggestions few times and I never have
> been very fund of the idea. For example, that would mean yet another
> layer of configuration and more things to support. I would prefer to
> find a more automatic way of doing the same.
>
> And I'm not sure if kernel maintainers would even accept this.

I think you could do a decent job of inferring most values with
a single module-param that requests the number of vdevs to support.
This is more of a hack though, and will not satisfy all needs I
think.

I also think that we will want to be able to configure firmware on
a per-nic basis instead of per-machine.  If we did that, we could poke
any special config into the firmware images using the existing meta-data
api.  Should be easy enough to write a small program that prepended
the config to a generic firmware..then those that care can create their
own customized firmware images quickly and easily.