fetching calibration data from flash

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Jun 11 06:40:49 PDT 2014

On 06/11/2014 01:38 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> writes:
>
>> Another nice feature would be to allow configuring the number of
>> vdevs, peers, etc per NIC.  That way, you could have one NIC
>> tuned to be one big AP with lots of peers, and a second could
>> be several small APs with fewer peers and some stations, etc.
>>
>> Maybe this could be a separate file, or maybe it would be worth
>> adding this to a TLV type file with cal.bin being part of the
>> data?
>
> So basically you want a configuration (".ini") file for ath10k, right? I
> have seen those in out-of-tree drivers, but not in upstream drivers.
>
> If I'm guessing right what these configuration items would do in ath10k,
> I think instead of static configuration it would be much more flexible
> to have this stuff configurable dynamically. But how, that's the
> question. A sysfs file to set different profiles (or modes) was the
> first one which came to my mind, but that's ugly.

You also need this info before you do the initial firmware configuration,
otherwise you are going to have to restart firmware again later to apply
the new config (and advertise different interface combinations up the
stack, etc).

Maybe a kernel module option to point to a file-name would work
(with some way to give different options to different nics in the
same system).

It's easy to get combinations that crash the firmware, so the driver
will still have to sanity-check any incoming 'suggestions'.