[RFC] wmi: Handle failure to start scan.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Mon Feb 17 11:10:50 EST 2014

On 02/16/2014 11:42 PM, Michal Kazior wrote:
> On 14 February 2014 17:07, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:

>>> We already wait for EVENT_STARTED in mac.c (see ath10k_start_scan) and
>>> clean up stuff (ath10k_abort_scan). Why not add the missing bits in
>>> there? Or is it possible to get EVENT_START_FAILED *after*
>>> EVENT_STARTED? Or am I missing something else here?
>>

>> I think a lot of this would be firmware dependent, and might change between
>> various versions of the firmware.
>
> It doesn't make any sense. That would suggest a really ugly firmware
> bug. Did you see this (i.e. START_FAILED after STARTED) on 636 or
> 10.1.467?

I am working on a 10.1.389 release currently...will move forward when
I can get access to newer source code.

>> It seems to me we should handle this case and do cleanup just to be safe,
>> but maybe cleanup is needed in failure case of ath10k_start_scan as well?
>
> If you really get START_FAILED then you shouldn't have received
> STARTED before that. ath10k_start_scan() already waits for the STARTED
> event with a timeout and if it fails it triggers a cleanup. If it
> doesn't work for you then what perhaps needs to be fixed is the
> current cleanup code?

I am not certain the patch is needed.  I was looking at my firmware and it
appeared that I could hit the START_FAILED case, but perhaps it was not
really possible, and maybe newer firmware keeps it from happening entirely.