[BUG] QWLE900V5-18 - cannot achievie 3 spatial streams link

Janusz Dziedzic janusz.dziedzic at tieto.com
Fri Dec 6 12:32:52 EST 2013

On 6 December 2013 17:33, Tomasz Tajmajer <tt at elnovel.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently, I've been making quite a lot of tests with two QWLE900V5-18 cards.
> I had some issues with the drivers (e.g. regarding the regulatory domain),
> but I've managed to fix them on my own. However, there is one issue that I
> cannot deal with.
> I'm trying to get the highest throughput possible using 3x3 MIMO. The
> problem is that the wifi card does not set higher rates than 2x433.3Mbps
> (MCS 9, VHT-NSS 2). The specification says that it should be possible to
> have 3 spatial streams.
> First, I thought it is a problem with some options of hostapd, but hostapd
> even does not allows me to set the [RX-STBC-12] or [RX-STBC-123] options.
> Only [RX-STBC-1] may be set in the configuration (what in fact, does not
> disallows the 2x433.3Mbps link, which is another issue).
> Driver info shows that the driver should support 3 spatial streams.
> I am not sure where is the problem, is it some bug in hostapd, which forces
> the card to use 2 spatial streams only or is it the driver, which does not
> enable 3 streams when it is possible. The physical connectivity (antennas
> etc.) is not the problem AFAIK.

When sta assoc to ap you will get dbg mesg (you can enable this eg.
when loading ath10k_core module with param - debug_mask).
"mac ht peer %pM mcs cnt %d nss %d\n" - nss is interesting here
Also
rx_mcs_set for STA from ath10k_peer_assoc_h_vht() could be interesting
- unfortunetly  we don't print this.
But you can print this.

BR
Janusz