ALPSS 2020 plans

Damien Le Moal Damien.LeMoal at wdc.com
Fri Aug 14 03:59:52 EDT 2020

On 2020/08/14 6:33, Meneghini, John wrote:
> I would love to participate, even it meant doing this as a personal vacation.  The problem is, unless I am mistaken:
>
> 1) the EU is not allowing any tourism from the USA (I understand only business travelers are accepted)
> 2) my company is not sponsoring any business travel to anywhere (they just announced they are not opening any US office until July of 2021)
>
> Is there any chance #1 will change in the EU?

It seems unlikely to change until the situation in the US improves. Which given
the current daily COVID numbers, may take a while...

And there is no exceptions for business travelers either. The exceptions granted
are for:

The restrictions do not apply to European citizens or residents “independent of
the purpose of travel,” nor to health workers, seasonal farm workers, diplomats,
humanitarian workers, transit passengers, asylum seekers, students and
“passengers traveling for imperative family reasons”.

See Annex II in this doc for the full list:

https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/ST-9208-2020-INIT/en/pdf

Pulling in case X or XI for ALPSS may be a stretch...

> If so, I'll come!
>
> Otherwise I'll assume this will be an EU only event, with perhaps some visitors from Asia.  But there won't be anyone from the USA attending...

Travel ban from my employer for me. Even though I would love to participate, I
unfortunately will not make it this year. That's minus one person from Asia :)

--
Damien Le Moal
Western Digital Research