[wireless-regdb] Possible European regulatory updates to enhance innovation

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 16:30:29 EDT 2010

Note: this e-mail is on a public mailing list.
===============================

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Ealdwulf Wuffinga <ealdwulf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof at ...> writes:
>
>> The truth of the matter is current legislation simply is out of date,
>> the change that we need is a shift in liability down to the user for
>> modified supported drivers / firmware much like a person renting a
>> golf cart can run over someone or cause a huge accident with it.
>
> For Europeans, the relevant EU directive is currently under review:
> http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/rtte/public-consultation/index_en.htm
>
> The public consultation is now closed, but people may want to make a note in
> their diaries to check what the proposed update looks like when it gets
> presented to parliament.

Nice, indeed in this document:

http://ec.europa.eu/governance/impact/planned_ia/docs/197_entr_radio_equipment_en.pdf

On section B:

C ––To adapt the obligations and powers created by the Directive to a number of
specific cases covered by the Directive

-Radio equipment of which the emission characteristics are modifiable
by the user or
may change according to the radio environment (reconfigurable radio equipment)

Then it has:

C ––To adapt the obligations and powers created by the Directive to a number of
specific cases covered by the Directive

-Option C2 would give powers to TCAM or to the Commission to introduce specific
obligations for specific cases broadly identified in the Directive

Not sure what the above means though.. There is also the:

E – To remove regulatory barriers to innovation in radio equipment

section but nothing clearly states a shift of liability but this would
be indeed good for innovation.

  Luis