Multicast traffic problems? - breaks IP, especially IPv6

yfw fengwei.yin at linaro.org
Thu Jul 16 05:38:33 PDT 2015

On 2015年07月16日 18:12, "Thomas B. Rücker" wrote:
> On 07/16/2015 02:37 AM, yfw wrote:
>>

>> On 2015年07月14日 19:09, "Thomas B. Rücker" wrote:
>>> My current guess is, that as this chip-set and firmware were designed
>>> for smartphones and such it was optimized for minimum power consumption
>>> and as a result drops all or most multicast traffic. This driver is the
>>> result of RE of the proprietary QC driver, so probably inherits this. In
>>> case of IPv4 that's a nuissance. In case of IPv6 that pretty much breaks
>>> the whole network connectivity.
>>>
>>> Does anyone on this list happen to know if it's possible to disable
>>> whatever possibly causes the described problems? I've read on the kernel
>>> wiki that this driver is supposed to support multicast filtering, can
>>> this be turned off? Any pointers and tips are appreciated.
>>>
>> I could reproduce your issue in my side. For now, the wcn36xx driver
>> doesn't set any the broadcast/multicast filter rule. So we don't know
>> the behaviour of the firmware.
>
> I did some additional testing on the hardware. I put on an Android build
> that uses the prima driver:
> http://builds.96boards.org/releases/dragonboard410c/qualcomm/android/latest/
> build dated: 2015-06-16
>
> The prima driver allows the device to respond to ICMP from machines on
> the LAN, it acquires IPv6 correctly from RA and responds to ICMP6.
>
> I'm not sure if both the drivers use the same firmware.
> If someone wants to look at the driver configuration, you can pull it
> from the android build:
> /etc/firmware/wlan/prima/WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini
> It has lots of configuration options that are being set, a few look like
> they might affect things in this case.
> The firmware is in the same directory and in /persist
Prima driver parse the .ini file and set McastBcaset filter accordingly.
But the upstream wcn36xx driver doesn't do that. So the
firmware behaviour with wcn36xx driver is unknown.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=42272,
It looks like the prima driver has ARP issue before ARP offload support
was enabled.