Multicast traffic problems? - breaks IP, especially IPv6

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Tue Jul 14 04:09:24 PDT 2015

Hi,

I'm using this driver on a Dragonboard 410c.
By the looks of it, this git tree is pretty close to what I see on this
mailing list archives, plus maybe some patches by Yin Fengwei:

|http://git.linaro.org/landing-teams/working/qualcomm/kernel.git ||ubuntu-qcom-dragonboard410c-15.06

The problem that I see is that the board isn't reachable by IPv4 network
nodes until there have been outbound connections from the board itself.
This means that 'ping' won't work until the board has e.g. pinged that host.

In case of IPv6 it's actually worse. The interface comes up with a link
local address, but in addition to the ping6 problem it won't even
acquire an IPv6 address through auto configuration, as the kernel never
gets to see the route advertisement packets and other breakage.

I've verified, that it's not the kernel or distro, by attaching a USB
Ethernet adapter (pegasus). There everything works as expected.

My current guess is, that as this chip-set and firmware were designed
for smartphones and such it was optimized for minimum power consumption
and as a result drops all or most multicast traffic. This driver is the
result of RE of the proprietary QC driver, so probably inherits this. In
case of IPv4 that's a nuissance. In case of IPv6 that pretty much breaks
the whole network connectivity.

Does anyone on this list happen to know if it's possible to disable
whatever possibly causes the described problems? I've read on the kernel
wiki that this driver is supposed to support multicast filtering, can
this be turned off? Any pointers and tips are appreciated.

Cheers

Thomas