[RFC 0/2] Mesh rejoin workaround

Jason Mobarak jam at cozybit.com
Thu Mar 6 20:43:18 EST 2014

Oops, sorry please disregard the first patch series, this was meant to be an
"RFC" not a "PATCH".

---

Hello,

This is an RFC on our mesh rejoin workaround.  We have a test which requires
that a mesh node be able to rejoin the network after going "out of range", then
coming back into range.

We see the following behavior:
    (1) Mesh nodes 1, 2, and 3 join a mesh
    (2) The firmware sends QoS NULL frames to other STAs, presumably tracking
        whether nodes are still alive
    (3) Mesh node 1 goes out of range
    (4) QoS NULL frame is not ACKed, so wcn36xx gets a notification that the
        firmware has removed the STA
    (5) Mesh node 1 comes back into range
    (6) Mesh node 1 is no longer able to send data to mesh

If after #4, instead of allowing the STA to be removed, we immediately re-add
the STA, the node is able communicate on the mesh once it comes within range
again.

Obviously, this is a non-ideal fix... Do you all have any ideas on how to
better workaround the issue of the firmware removing the STA?

Our test suite can be seen accessed here:
- https://github.com/cozybit/wcn36xx-tests

Specifcally I'm running this test:
- https://github.com/cozybit/wcn36xx-tests/blob/master/scripts/run_multi_rejoin
  (via the run_all_rejoin_tests script)

The results of which, without the rejoin workaround, can be seen here:
- https://github.com/cozybit/wcn36xx-tests/wiki/2014.03.06.16.05-test-log-summary-(tree:-ft-mesh-rejoin-rfc)

The results of which, *with* the rejoin workaround, can be seen here:
- https://github.com/cozybit/wcn36xx-tests/wiki/2014.03.06.15.04-test-log-summary-(tree:-ft-mesh-rejoin-rfc-no-workaround)

The tree for this workaround is here:
- https://github.com/silverjam/wcn36xx/tree/ft-mesh-rejoin-rfc

Thanks,