AdHoc (IBSS) on Nexus 7 (2013) connecting to one node only

Jaco Joubert jdjoubert at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 07:25:46 PDT 2014

I am currently working on a project where I need to connect to an
adhoc wifi network from a Nexus 7 (2013) device.
I first tried with the stock Android operating system and could not
get it to work because of apparent adhoc wifi limitations on Google
Android (https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=82).
I then installed CyanogenMod 11M8 with support for adhoc wifi
(http://www.thinktube.com/android-tech/46-android-wifi-ibss).
I am now able to connect to the adhoc wifi network, but I see strange
behavior.  With more than 2 nodes on the adhoc network (the tablet and
more than 1 other node), the tablet seems to randomly "pair" with a
single node and only route traffic to/from that node.  I cannot send
traffic to any other node on the adhoc network (getting "Destination
Host Unreachable"), although the other nodes in the network can all
communicate with each other.

Can someone please just point me in the right direction.  Is this
possibly a limitation in the driver?  Or maybe just a configuration
issue.  Or maybe not driver-related at all (something in the operating
system)?

Thanks a lot for your time.