Bombadil outage over the weekend

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri May 24 11:28:23 EDT 2013

OLPC are moving out of their current office, and will no longer be able
to host bombadil.infradead.org.

It's being transferred to a machine in SF — the contents of the disk are
being rsync'd as I type this.

Unfortunately the new machine isn't quite available yet, so it's going
to be hosted as a VM as an interim measure.

There will be some downtime this weekend as I disable all services on
the current machine, mount its file system read-only and do a final
rsync over to the VM, and then cross my fingers and bring the VM up as
the new machine.

This will happen again in a few days when the real hardware becomes
available and bombadil moves over to that. But hopefully the outage will
be shorter that time as the final rsync is only over a local network,
and I'll already have done the procedure once.

If you wish to move your @infradead.org mail to another machine in the
cluster (or elsewhere), you can use the 'infradeadmail' command to
change where your mail lands.

Run 'infradeadmail alias foo at example.com' to send your mail there, for
example. If you omit the username, it just uses your own username. So
'infradeadmail alias @casper.infradead.org' might be useful, if you have
an account there. Or 'infradeadmail alias @merlin.infradead.org'.

If you don't have an account on another machine in the cluster, I can
easily give you one. Or you can direct your mail elsewhere. Or you can
just live with a brief outage this weekend; you don't *have* to move, of
course.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with the physical machine (a mini
tower) which is currently bombadil. If anyone has ideas for a
comfortable home in the Boston area or further afield where it would be
equipped with power and a static IP address and sit in the corner
unnoticed, that would be much appreciated — it could be brought back
online as another machine in the cluster, to give us further redundancy.

--
dwmw2