OAMs

Giampaolo Tomassoni g.tomassoni at libero.it
Sat Mar 8 12:10:51 EST 2008

It is part of the Zeppelin code. It regards LAN Emulation, which is a kind
of IP-Over-ATM which is not the ClIP one, thereby it is almost surely
orthogonal with respect to common internet access, which are instead PPPoX-
or ClIP-based.

I see that once more the Linux-ATM project is mostly devoted to find
solutions in the LAN market. I don't believe this is the killing application
of ATM: to me, it is the WAN one instead... But the linux-atm project seems
simply to follow their way disregarding this segment: things could be easier
with a well-designed SAR (and OAM) layer in the linux-atm stack.

The LAN and the WAN segments are quite different: you often put up a LAN
through "intelligent" ATM cards, which often don't need any awareness about
SAR and OAM by the software layer, while the classic WAN interface is quite
"poor" on the ATM side and misses any SAR or OAM capability.

Giampaolo