SpeedTouch and ISO mode, stats, ADSL Max.

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Tue Mar 21 08:19:15 EST 2006

Hi David,

> They're going to be rolling out 'ADSL Max' across the UK soon, which I
> believe is just fully rate-adaptive ADSL1, and should theoretically give
> up to 8Mb/s speeds -- and some ISPs are just going to do a mass regrade
> of their customers' lines.

I see they're still way behind the game in the UK, we've had it here for
ages :)

> We're going to need isochronous mode working properly for this -- is it
> actually working at the moment? I saw a discussion about it in January,
> which didn't seem particularly conclusive.

It is working, in the sense that it doesn't crash and it happily sends
and receives packets.  But it's slow - slower than bulk!  In my tests I
could get only a bit less than 4 Mbaud with bulk, and a bit less than
that with iso.  However no-one else has yet been able to confirm similar
speeds, so for all I know it might be an issue with my ISP.  But most
likely there is a bottleneck in the driver.  I've been meaning to look
into this for ages, but didn't have the time.

> At http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/330.asp they also have a link to a 'Dr
> SpeedTouch' tool, which can apparently fetch line statistics. It'd be
> good if we could learn that trick, too.

I will try it out.

Ciao,

Duncan.