usbatm : modprobe & rmmod

Roman Kagan rkagan at mail.ru
Wed Jan 26 07:47:05 EST 2005

  Hi Duncan,

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 07:26:06PM +0300, Roman Kagan wrote:
> > My feeling is that the usbatm2 design is basically sound.
>
> I don't say the opposite.  I just felt it was more natural to write a
> usual USB driver with callouts to the library module rather then a
> framework-specific minidriver which may want to do something beyond the
> framework boundaries (no, I don't have an example :) that's just a
> feeling).

Please consider me convinced.  Indeed the usbatm2 framework seems to
suffice for everything I can think of, and is much safer by vurtue of
making calls into the subdriver, and not vice versa.

So I give up trying with usb_atm (this time for good).

However, I think Matthieu's desire to use .driver_data to handle the
chipset pecularities is a valid argument, so usbatm should provide some
other means to pass usbatm_driver to the core.  It can be done either at
subdriver probe time or in usb-serial fashion, by maintaining a list of
subdrivers updated at subdriver register time, and choosing the
appropriate one using usb_match_id in the core probe routine.

Completing cxacru2,
  Roman.