[linux-usb-devel] [RFC] Conexant AccessRunner ADSL USB modem driver

Roman Kagan rkagan at mail.ru
Thu Jan 20 08:36:56 EST 2005

  Hi Duncan,

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 10:19 +0100, Duncan Sands wrote:
> > support the firmware loading from userspace, the same logic is applied
> > on receiving a UDSL_IOCTL_LINE_UP ioctl.
>
> do we still want to support this IOCTL?

I think we want to support frimware loading from userspace, and then the
userspace tool will need a means to let the driver know that it can
start using the device.

I thought reusing this ioctl could preserve compatibility with tools
used prior to 2.6.10.  Besides it was already mostly there, so I needed
less coding ;)

>   If we want something like this,
> a better solution might be to export a sysfs attribute "line", which is
> 0 (line down) or 1 (line up); then the user can write 0 or 1 to it if they
> want to force the line state.

A sysfs attribute in the usb device directory?

> PS: I am looking at your patch now.

Thanks!  Looking forward to your comments.

Cheers,
  Roman.