[linux-usb-devel] [RFC] Conexant AccessRunner ADSL USB modem driver

Roman Kagan rkagan at mail.ru
Sun Jan 16 20:04:49 EST 2005

  Hi Duncan,

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 13:37 +0100, Duncan Sands wrote:
> I agree that it makes more sense to only create the ATM device when the modem is fully
> initialised.

I just committed a patch to cxacru.c doing exactly this.  More
precisely, the udsl_instance is now set up only when the modem is
considered ready.  If it is not, a firmware load is attempted.  To
support the firmware loading from userspace, the same logic is applied
on receiving a UDSL_IOCTL_LINE_UP ioctl.

As an extra bonus, the driver will not reload the firmware on the host
computer warm reboot (thus even preserving the ADSL connection).

This also allowed to simplify the interaction with usb_atm.  Now the
firmware-related hooks are not used, nor is the refcount (well, one
udsl_put_instance() call is still left in cxacru_usb_disconnect() to
match the refcount usage in usb_atm; I suspect it can be removed as well
and udsl_{get,put}_instance be unEXPORT_GPLed).

The patch has been briefly tested on my system.

Please comment.  If this approach is considered viable, I can follow up
with the corresponding usb_atm cleanup and speedtch adjustment.

Cheers,
  Roman.