Tahoe 2013

Grant Grundler grantgrundler at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 00:58:02 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 8:38 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> So I have totally been too busy to actually look at anything concretely
> organized, but it sounded like there would be interest in a Tahoe trip in
> either January or March, with January preferred.  It would be interesting to
> know who would be available when, and if so which resort(s) would be
> preferred.

I can probably join for at least a few days as well in Jan. March
*might* be better because the past couple of years, several heavy
storms came later in the season. But there is a risk of "spring
skiing" conditions since the sun is more intense then too.

I've skied Kirkwood a lot in the past and liked it. I'm really not
interested in Northstar though they offer ski in/out.  While I know
Squaw better than Heavenly, last time I skied Heavenly with a local it
was awesome. Squaw has some nice terrain but didn't have as much fun
there the last couple of trips.  Tickets are expensive in either case.

AFAICT, the best deal on skiing for 3 day trips is Mount Rose ($90 for
3-day pass) near Reno. It's a very small resort but with 8200 feet
(2520m) _base_ elevation with some nice tree skiing. Unfortunately I'm
not aware of any lodging "on the mountain" and a week there would
likely get boring.

Anyway, here's at least one website that offers cabins near heavenly ski resort:
    http://www.tahoevacationguide.com/LTRB/nearskiareas.html

Kirkwood is about 30-45min drive from anything near heavenly if
someone wants to do a "daytrip" to Kirkwood.

cheers,
grant