Logistics

Jim Bourne jbourne at hardrock.org
Fri Feb 26 11:30:26 EST 2010

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, Erik Troan wrote:

> I vote for March. The skiing in the western US is normally quite good, so I
> expect Canada is as well. I probably won't make it if I lose a February
> weekend. Kids are getting old enough for ski team and that's when the last
> race is in our area.
>
> I'm also not sure trying to coordinate 15-20 people moving resorts is worth
> the complication.

March is generally good here and in fact can be the better part of the
season some years.  Some of the resorts stay open well into April and even
May (spring skiing in your shorts anyone? :).

Invermere comes to mind here.  That puts us next to Panorama and
approximately equidistant from Kicking Horse, Lake Louise, Sunshine, Fernie,
and Kimberley (about 1.5 to 2.5 hours each one way).  Almost all of these
resorts have ski out lodges as well but those tend to be not competative for
the hotel quality...

If a second town to stay in is wanted, Fernie is about 1.5 hours from
Kimberley and less than an hour from Castle...  There's always Whitefish
from Fernie as well if we wanted to dip into the US (2.5 hours).

dwmw2, for comparison it's 1.5 hours to Sunshine from Calgary and 2 hours to
Lake Louise.

etc

James Bourne                  | Email:            jbourne at hardrock.org
UNIX Systems Administration   | WWW:           http://www.hardrock.org
Custom UNIX Programming       | Linux:  The choice of a GNU generation