ski lessons & hire

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Jan 16 02:13:27 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 20:22 -0600, Becky Bruce wrote:
> > I just took a few complete beginners to Avoriaz, the week before last,
> > and they would have done better with full days than they did with half
> > days. That's what I always did, when my skiing was at that level.
>
> Alrighty, then, if the mighty Dave says so, fine with me :).

Well, I'm not sure my father would have agreed -- but then he's 63 and
was skiing for the first time... he liked having the afternoons off
completely. You _can_ go into town and do lessons there too, if the
majority of you really want half-days. As I said, you'll be taking the
bus in that direction anyway for the first couple of days at least.

> You  actually make it sound like starting with 2 full days might not be a
> bad idea, and I assume we can add more after that if we want to keep
> going (or maybe do partials later on as suggested above).

That often works with the group lessons. I'd probably go for booking 4-5
days and maybe dropping out of the last one if you feel like it.

> > And much as you may enjoy the company of your spouse/partner/bit of
> > fluff you picked up just for the week/etc., there's only so much fun
> > to be had skiing with them if their ability is vastly different to yours.
>
> Can I enjoy the company of my spouse *and* the bit of fluff I pick
> up? ;-)

That, my dear, should be a conversation between you and your
ever-tolerant spouse. The only circumstances under which it is
appropriate to ask _me_ for my opinion are.... well.... just not
something I'm going to contemplate.

Within the confines of Austrian Law and Heike's hospitality, go wild.

> > If the lessons end at about 3pm, then meeting them up the mountain,
> > spending half an hour watching them snowplough slowly across a fairly
> > flat slope and then babysitting them to get home is _quite_ enough.
> > There's plenty of time for canoodling in the evenings :)
>
> Ah, but don't forget the amusement and photo ops of us beginners
> falling down all over the place.  I suppose I should start saving up
> money to pay bribes now!

You can get photo ops just by skiing past and meeting up for lunch though.

--
dwmw2