Vignette needed to get Kitzbühel?

Carsten Otte cotte at de.ibm.com
Fri Feb 27 03:35:01 EST 2009

> I see some info on the web that says you don't need a vignette sticker
> to get to Kitzbühel.  Is that true?  Our route will takes us from A93
> to A12, exiting at 6-Kufstein Süd.
You'll need a Pickerl (austrian slang for the vignette sticker)
on A93 and A12 as far as I can tell. Good thing is, Austria has
Stickers per day which are relatively cheap. Swizzerland otoh
is always a big mess, you have to buy a full year.
Ask at your rental car place about it, or make sure your GPS
allows you to get around that.
While we're at it, make sure your car is equipped with
winter tires that do have enhanced traction on snow. They
need a snowflake sign on them, otherwise you might end up
with losing insurance protection in case you're in icy
conditions. I do also take snow chains with me. I think
I won't need them, but in case of a blizzard sometimes
roads are closed for cars that don't have them in the alps.

so long,
Carsten