SkiCabal update

Jes Sorensen jes at trained-monkey.org
Mon Jul 10 08:38:19 EDT 2006

Hi,

After a period of quiet, we finally have an update on the skigeek
outing! Thanks to Ben for dealing with the French Ski Mafia :) Things
are not quite final yet as they are still dealing with the summer
season.

We now have estimated prices on ski passes and accommodation, being
the two key components!

IMPORTANT: Due to the original dates clashing too heavily with the
French school holidays, the skicabal has made the dictatorial decision
to move the trip to the week March 10 - March 17! This will reduce the
accommodation cost by 25-35% depending on the configuration! If you
disagree, sue us :)

The cost of the ski pass for the week will be EUR 161 - it is unclear
at this time whether it includes the "Carte Neige" ski insurance (you
must have this), probably not, but that should be no more than EUR
2.50/day and we can probably get group rates on that too.

Accommodation prices for self catering apartments for the week are as
follows (March 10-17) - everything in EUR. We will try to arrange
sharing for those who do not want a whole apartment for just one
person. To convert it into your local currency, visit
http://finance.yahoo.com/currency

Studio / sleeps 4:         745
2 bedroom / sleeps 4:      895
2 bedroom / sleeps 4/5:    995
2/3 bedroom / sleeps 5:   1295
2/3 bedroom / sleeps 6:   1370

There are busses directly from Geneva airport (and from various other
places in France. If people fly, Geneva is probably the easiest
solution). You can also rent a car at the airport, but if it's just to
drive down and park it there for a week, it might be a waste of money.

Last, but not least important, we propose to have a skigeek BOF during
OLS to discuss the subject. So far only the date is set, July 19.
Time and place (read: which pub) is to be determined.

We will continue to investigate details on the remaining issues: ski
rental, bus details, etc. but we are unlikely to have those details by
OLS.

On behalf of the SkiCabal,
Jes