Invite draft.

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Feb 23 06:11:34 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 13:00 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> After that, we should come up with at least a _vague_ plan -- at least
> dates and location, and probably send a summary along with a mailman
> 'invite' to join the mailing list -- it'll just be 'click this link to
> join the list', and we'll immediately get to see who does so. Then once
> we have some real feedback and a clearer idea about numbers, we can firm
> up the plans from there.

I suppose we have enough of a plan that we can send out invites. It'll
necessarily change as we find out who's coming etc. anyway. We should
pick a date, or maybe a choice of two, and state it from the beginning;
we really don't want it open-ended or it'll be like herding cats. I've
thrown in random dates which Jes mentioned; we can debate those as we
finalise the draft.

Something like this (with sample invite appended, as it would appear)...

You've been invited to join this mailing list because we'd like you to
join us for a Linux hackers' ski trip in the French Alps next year. The
invitation is extended to yourself and also your partner and family;
beginners and expert skiers alike. We've even reluctantly decided to
permit snowboarders.

The plan is to spend a week in a resort in France somewhere like Portes
du Soleil (http://www.portesdusoleil.com/). We chose it because it's
relatively cheap and there's a good range of ski areas for skiers of all
abilities. There are many places in the world we could go, but someone
has to stick a pin in the map or we could spend a whole year debating
it.

For a similar reason, we've also picked dates -- it's far enough in
advance that most people ought to be able to manage. The dates we had in
mind would be either February 24th to March 3rd, or March 3rd to March
10th.

We would arrange accommodation, lift passes and equipment hire, and also
tuition for anyone who wants it. If you've never skied before but would
like to, don't worry -- all you have to do is turn up. Preferably with
warm clothing.

The cost of adult lift passes for the week would be around €179; tuition
if you want it would be around €100 for six mornings, or €150 for six
full days. Ski or board hire would cost another €100 or so, if you need
that. (€1 ≈ $1.25 USD)

The accommodation will likely be a bunch of self-catering apartments all
together. Families might want their own apartment, or might want to
spend a little more on a hotel room; we can arrange those. The basic
cost of the apartment would probably be something like €500 for the week
-- we'll have a much clearer idea of the precise costs once we know how
many are coming and can negotiate precise details and discounts, but the
intention is for it to be relatively cheap; and if you want to cater for
yourself all week instead of eating out, that will be possible.

We assume you're all capable of arranging your own travel, and could
manage to meet us at the resort -- although since it's likely that a
bunch of people will be arriving at Geneva airport at about the same
time, we will look at arranging a coach on Saturday afternoon.

Please respond to let us know whether you're interested or not -- and if
you are, just click on the link below to join the mailing list.

We hurriedly threw together a list of people who we thought might
possibly be interested; it's not intended to be entirely exclusive. Our
original list is at http://david.woodhou.se/skilist.txt -- please
contact BenH, Jes and/or Dave if you think we missed someone:

 Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org>
 David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org>
 Jes Sørenson <jes at trained-monkey.org>

-----

Your address "david at woodhou.se" has been invited to join the Skigeek
You may accept the invitation by simply replying to this message,
keeping the Subject: header intact.

You can also visit this web page:

http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/confirm/skigeek/0200625e415bdb1f8db9ddfed9dcab24984b7d5

Or you should include the following line -- and only the following
line -- in a message to skigeek-request at lists.infradead.org:

    confirm 02006825e415bdb1f8db9ddfed9dcab24984b75

Note that simply sending a `reply' to this message should work from
most mail readers.

If you want to decline this invitation, please simply disregard this
message.  If you have any questions, please send them to
skigeek-owner at lists.infradead.org.

--
dwmw2